Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Hunger Games

Have you heard about these books? I may be a little behind the times here because I would have thought there would be soooo much more written about them!

Over break, I noticed that a Facebook friend (whose reading opinions I value) commented that she was reading the first book of the series and was addicted. I couldn't get her comment out of my head, so I headed to Target to get it. I brought it home, started reading and from page 1 was totally and completely sucked in. The kids saw me, reported that kids at school (yes, it is "geared" toward the 11+ crowd) loved the books, and they all wanted to read it too. They even offered up their own hard earned cash to get a copy for themselves! Being that my kids aren't the avid readers I had hoped for them to be, I was so happy. Off to Target I went again.

I am now on the final book of the series - book 3. Amazing.

A true testament is that I fell asleep while reading the first one, and the King picked it up. The King is a periodical reader (magazines, newspapers, junk mail...) but books? Not so much. The next morning though, he told me he was hooked! And he left on a business trip today and asked the kids if he could take it with him! Now if that isn't a ringing endorsement, I don't know what is!

Has anyone else read them? What did you think?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

really good book im almost done 60 pages to go





matt

Jen said...

Shannon loved the books, and while I tried to read the first one, I couldn't get into it. I may have to give it a second chance...

cathy said...

What is the genre? Ben is a crazy reader and I'm always looking for something but he likes the science-fiction/fantasy stuff.

Lisa Haass said...

Cathy - he would love them. Take place in the future after something bad happens to North America, and it is kind of like the Running Man - bunch of people compete to the death....a little gory in some spots, a little kissing between the two main characters, but nothing gross.

cathy said...

I'll have to get it. Too bad Target is like 87 miles away.