Monday, January 3, 2011

Let's Try This Again

Hi Friends!

I've tried a couple of times to jump back into my blog over the last year, and it just didn't stick. But I figured that with the start of a new year, and new resolutions, I would give it another try! Bear with me!

First, Happy New Year to you all! I hope that 2011 brings you all that you hope and dream. Or if it just turns out to be a better year for all of us, I'd be happy with that too.

We started out this year by using the King's new toy......a smoker. I did lots of research on them before I bought it, and came to the conclusion that because the King has an undiagnosed case of ADD, an electric smoker would be the way to go - no worrying about maintaining temperatures with charcoal, no babysitting except to add water and wood, and I hoped we'd have good results.

On Saturday, the King headed to the store for a brisket, which for some reason I wanted to be the first meat smoked. I wasn't even sure if I liked brisket, but off he went and returned with close to 7 pounds of meat. If you aren't sure what that looks like, just picture a cow lying on its side, and then remove the whole part facing you. We are talking about a huge hunk of meat.

I had been urging the King to read up on smoking, and we did briefly chat on Saturday night that he would likely have to get up early (not easy for the King) to get the meat in the smoker. I gently tried to tell him that Sunday dinner at midnight wasn't what I was looking for, and I headed off to bed hoping he heard me.

He woke up at 10. Slightly disgusted with this, I again tried to light a fire under him by putting out some foil, seasonings, and I quietly screamed over my shoulder as I headed out to church "That meat better be on there when I get back.........or I don't want to know what might happen." This is how you have to work with the King.

And sure enough, when I got home there it was, smoking away. While the "rules" of smoking vary greatly, he though 6 1/2 hours would do the trick. So we waited.

Well, actually, the King's ADD did kick in during the process and he headed downtown to watch a non-televised football game with a friend. Was I right to get the electric smoker or what? He never could have left if I had gotten him the charcoal smoker. Go me.

We waited patiently until the magic hour, and in walked the King with his beast..........

Here is a shot of it after it rested and was carved.

You might think a piece of meat cooked that long would be dry and chewey! But no! It was really delicious! A very successful first attempt. Good job honey!

Tonight I will try to get creative with the remaining 5 pounds in the fridge.......I'm thinking Brisket Tacos. Any other suggestions?


Jennifer said...

I have no other ideas for the left overs but oh my gawd that looks tasty...

Krissa said...

Yummy! Make a great homemade barbeque sauce and do a pulled pork dinner or something. Make sure to put lots of extra warm mayo on Dan's for him, okay? I think I need a smoker- that just looks so awesome. Good job for buying one, and way to go Dan!

nicole said...

Im just so excited your blogs are back. love them..

the brisket looks great.
Not being a morning person must run in the Haass family- bc i am not one either. i thought getting up @ 10 was early. haaa

Cathy said...

Oh my goodness I can't believe you are back on here!!

I think I see the smoke ring on that meat...good work.

We have a smoker (not electric)...lots of babysitting.

Leftover Brisket Tostados with Pico de Gallo or Chop the brisket down into small pieces and make a ragu or bolognese for pasta, chili....

Lisa Haass said...

Cathy - Yup! Tacos last night, ragu tonight! :)

Lou said...

That is a beautiful sight. Nice job by both of you. Now I would like to enjoy that slab this summer. Can we get to OBX again??