Monday, September 1, 2008

Kids In the Kitchen
















As my profile states, I love to cook. I love to look at my cookbooks, pick out what I am going to make, and the whole process is fun for me.
This is a love I have passed on to my kids, and as they get older, it gets even better! They actually can help! I won't say this is a neat proposition, but they love it, and I do too.
Today as I shopped for dinner, I saw a package of Chocolate Wafers, and it brought me right back to a dessert I used to make when I was little. Krissa and Jenna, do you remember this? I was so excited to let the kids try it tonight, and they were too.
All you need is the wafers, some Cool Whip and a big rag to clean it all up with afterwards! You spread the cool whip on a cookie, and line them all up like a log and frost the whole thing with the whipped cream. When you put it in the fridge it becomes more like a cake and is delicious. I am going to try to block out the memories of what the kids looked like when they were making it and touching the cake, etc. Just look at the pic above to see what I am talking about.
After the cake was done, they helped with several other parts of the dinner. It was fun and they really didn't fight, do anything really bad or super annoying.
My favorite lines uttered while they were making it were:
Liv: "Matt, your station is a mess! Who are you, Petroza?" (those of you who watched Hell's Kitchen know what this means!)
Grace: "I think I am going to take off my shirt. I feel so much freer that way!"
Matt: "Mom, this is so fun. It is like a kitchen in here!"
Good memories!

3 comments:

Jen said...

My daughter would PASS OUT over that dessert! How exactly do you make it? I would love to do this with her tomorrow as a last day of summer vacation hurray. If you could email me and let me know that would be so awesome!

Krissa said...

I love, LOVE that dessert- I have made it with the boys before, but never with Elisa. This will be her contribution to dinner tonight. You'd be so proud of me- I am cooking ( or at least making an effort to!) and I am really enjoying planning what to have and actually doing it! I think I might like to cook now (did you EVER think you'd hear me utter those words?!?)

Anonymous said...

Where's the picture of the final log? And remember I'm available to sample.