Monday, September 1, 2008

Kids and Pets - Priceless



I grew up with lots of pets around - dogs, cats, chickens, horses...........I can't remember a time without animals in my life.
The same holds true for my kids. No chickens or horses, but my kids have never known a time without a dog in their life. When Liv was born, Layla had been a part of our family for five years, then came Dakota, and when we moved to CA and Matt was two, we got Cali.
Sadly, after we said goodbye to 14 year old Layla this past winter, we knew there was room in our hearts and in our house for one more dog. Crazy? Probably. But it was fate. All it took was a trip to the Little League field on July 4th, and there we met Fergie. Abandonded, adorable, and SMALL, and she stole all of our hearts.
It seems like she has always been here. Nothing makes me happier than to see my kids with their pets. I think it teaches them so much. Compassion, empathy, responsibility.

Happy Labor Day everyone!






3 comments:

Jen said...

I totally agree with you on the pets and kids thing. We got a cat 3 years ago named Cali (how funny, huh?) and I can't imagine her not being here. She such a sweetie and Shannon loves her to death. I've been thinking of getting another cat...

Krissa said...

I know your favorite was Pumpkin- but only because he pooped on me in the car on the way to Florida. You probably coached him on that one.....

Anonymous said...

Awww. I always had dogs as a kid & they were the greatest companions. My sister & I loved them to death. I think they are one of the best memories as a kid too.